Loaded M&M and Oreo Cookie Bars
Loaded M&M Oreo Cookie Bars
These dense bars are a texture lover’s dream. There’s an abundance of crunchy chopped Oreos and M&M’s, contrasted with soft, buttery, moist dough. The bars come together in 1 bowl, without a mixer, in 5 minutes, and are ready in under a half hour – great when you need a dessert in a hurry. The recipe is ripe for substitutions, and use it as an opportunity to clean out your pantry and use up your half-eaten bags and odds-and-ends. See blog post for ideas. Pantry cleanout never tasted so good.
YIELD: one 8×8 pan, 9 to 12 generous squares
PREP TIME: 5 minutes
COOK TIME: about 20 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), melted
1 large egg
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
18 Oreo Cookies, coarsely chopped (I used Oreo Chocolate Birthday Cake Sandwich Cookies; another type of chocolate sandwich cookie may substituted, or about 2 heaping cups of coarsely chopped add-ins including leftover cookies, graham crackers, chocolate-covered pretzels, etc.)
about 1/2 cup M&M’s (I used plain, use your favorite flavor or other chopped candy)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl melt the butter, about 1 minute on high power.
- Wait momentarily before adding the egg so you don’t scramble it. Add the egg, brown sugar, vanilla, and whisk until smooth.
- Add the flour and stir until just combined, don’t overmix.
- Stir in the Oreos.
- Turn batter out into prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula.
- Evenly sprinkle the M&Ms over the top, lightly pressing them down with your finger or a spatula.
- Bake for about 20 to 22 minutes, or until done based on add-ins used. Top should be set and edges slightly firm. A toothpick inserted in the center (if you can find a bare patch to test) should come out clean, or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter. Allow bars to cool in pan for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving. Bars will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
I am embracing everything positive as I enjoy this journey through life. As a LIFE COACH, I focus on bringing extraordinary changes in lives of my clients. By empowering us ALL … the world will be magnificent and full of love. We must #ShareOurLoveLight to keep the light of the universe bright. Instagram.com/makebaevans